So, lately I have told Ryan of a dilemma I have when I see people with their car seats installed incorrectly. I feel like it would come across as rude to inform a mom or dad that their baby is not safe in that car seat, but at the same time, it is difficult to walk past and say nothing. At work, in the NICU, we go through specific training classes to learn how car seats should be fitted and installed. And I am one to admit, it is not common sense. New car seats are complicated. But that is not an excuse not to learn or read the instruction manual. I have seen so many babies in their car seats with the straps to low, too high, too loose...It is very easy for a baby to slip out the top of the straps in an accident, even at only 15mph. It is extremely important to know how to install your car seat correctly and to make sure others caring for your baby know as well.
Most county health departments offer free car seat inspections. The Utah County Health Dept. trains hospital staff and provides inspections often - they say that 98% of car seats are used improperly.
Don't compromise safetey because it is an inconvenience. If your baby falls asleep before being buckled in the seat, you are careful not to wake him/her, but are you also careful enough to make sure your baby is totally secure?
As parents, our first priority is the safety of our children. We need to read the instruction manuals, get our car seats inspected, and ALWAYS use them properly. "Accidents" by definition are not planned. You never know if/when it is going to happen, so be prepared and do your best. It's worth it!
2 comments:
It's so true Kristen! I am no pro but I see this a lot too. I don't think they would mind hearing correction from you since you are a nurse--I would appreciate it! We had the infant seat inspected I should have Maddie's toddler seat looked at too. They have to be so much tighter than you think!
More proof that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Post a Comment