Yesterday, while stopped at a light, I noticed a lady holding a sign that read "Homeless, single mom. Needs food and motel." As a mother myself with my two little girls in the car, I just could not imagine the kind of life this mother must have. Remembering the lessons my dad taught me throughout my life, I searched my wallet and purse in hope of finding some cash to hand to her. When all I found was plastic, I remembered that Maggie had been playing with a crumpled dollar bill in her car seat. Unsure of how this would go over with her, I said "Maggie, do you see that lady outside? She has no dinner and no bed to sleep in. I think she needs your dollar today." I hesitantly rolled down Maggie's window (still wondering if she was even getting it) as the lady approached us. Maggie, with a huge grin on her face, eagerly handed this lady her dollar and said "my name is Maggie." The lady returned the smile and said a few kind words to Maggie. The light turned green and we never saw her again.
About 10 minutes later, we pulled into the Costco parking lot and with such practicality, Maggie said "mom, I think we should buy that lady a bed. She really needs a bed. I really like having my bed mom." Now holding back tender emotions, I told her how her dollar will help that lady find a bed and we hope and pray that she does.
I felt foolish having thought this lesson was far above Maggie's ability to understand. I was even afraid it might scare her. No - she was confident and accepting, and full of love and kindness towards this sweet stranger. The only thing that bothers her is that we don't know her name. We call her Rosie.
5 comments:
Ahhhh! That is such a cute story! She is so cute. Merry Christmas!
That is so sweet! You are such a great mom teaching your girls these wonderful lessons.
What a great learning opportunity. Such a sweet story!
What a great story. Compassion for our fellow man is the one lesson that we hope to impress upon our children and have it stick. You are such a great mom!!!
I love this post! What a great mom & example!
Post a Comment